Thursday 25 March 2010

The antidote to a meltdown: pumpkin pie bread!

Pin It

Last week, I made up my very own recipe for the first time!  Oh, yeah, I've fiddled with recipes before, adding deliciousness or subbing when necessary, but I'd never just straight-up made up a recipe!  It was a very exciting moment for me.

 


Of course, if I'm being completely honest, I didn't just throw things together.  I looked at a bunch of recipes for pumpkin bread, decided they were lacking in brandy and too high in sugar/oil, and then pulled out my great-grandma's pumpkin pie recipe and squished it into a basic bread recipe, e voila!  Just the thing to cure my craving for pumpkin pie and my angsting about how British pie crust is too flaky and I didn't have a pastry cutter to make my own and wah wah waaaah life here is so hard.
 My inspiration, my great-grandma's pumpkin pie recipe.  AKA the holy grail.

Seriously, thank god this bread was so delicious, or my boyfriend might have had good cause to up and peace out right then and there.  But believe me when I say: this bread is that good.  We ate the whole, huge thing in a day, and the few little sample bites I brought in to class disappeared in minutes.  I'd call that a success, fo sho.

So, without further ado, I give you:

McIntyre Pumpkin Pie Bread

Preheat oven to 350F (175C).  Grease two 9x5 loaf pans or one bundt (or kugelhopf!) and set aside.

Combine in a medium bowl and set aside:
     2 cups flour
     2 tsp baking soda
     1 tsp baking powder
     1 tsp salt
     2 tsp ground cinnamon
     2 tsp ground ginger
     1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
     2 cups white sugar
     1 cup brown sugar

In a large bowl or an electric mixer, combine: 
     1 cup vegetable oil
     4 eggs
     1 (12 oz) can pumpkin

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with this mixture:
     1/4 cup water
     3-4 Tbsp brandy

Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  For the best flavor, let the bread cool completely, wrap in cling film, and eat the next day.  (HA, yeah right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!