Sunday 4 September 2011

Cinnadoodlesnaps!

Pin It


Y'all know how much I love cinnamon, right?  Have we talked about this beforeOh, yes, we have.  A lot.  So I ask you this: how is it possible that I never tried to make gingersnaps with cinnamon taking the lead?  HOW?

Okay, it doesn't matter how.  We'll just chalk that up to yet another brainfart on my part.  The point is, dear people, I've now tried it...and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back.  The cinnamon, oh, god, the cinnamon has me swooning.


In fairness, this was not entirely my idea.  I mean, it was, and it was brilliant, but it was also inspired by a teeny cookie shop in the Mission district of SF called Anthony's Cookies, and specifically it was inspired by their cinnamon spice cookie, of which I could have eaten an entire dozen by myself.  Other than the cinnamon spice, and the walnut chocolate chip, I wasn't quite as bowled over by Anthony's as my siblings and all the other Missionites who've drunk the hipster kool-aid (kombucha flavored).  That said, I'm biased because when I want cookies I usually bake them (the same cannot be said for my kitchen-impaired sibs).  Anyway, they are durned tasty, and the price is totally right (which is SO rare in the Mission), so if you're in SF you should swing by and buy some cookies.



And if you're not in the Bay Area (as I no longer am...sob), then you should make these.  Because, while they're not quite as good as Anthony's, they're still really really good.  Spicy and chewy with a crisp top and a dark sweetness from the treacle and brown sugar.  Oh. My. Goodness.


Need I say more?



Cinnadoodlesnaps:

adapted from the Joy of Cooking's recipe for gingersnaps 
makes about 30 cookies

Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and grease or line 2 cookie sheets.

Whisk together and set aside:

     1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
     3/4 tsp baking powder
     1/4 tsp baking soda
     pinch of salt
     2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
     1/2 tsp ground ginger
     1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Beat in a large bowl until very fluffy:

     6 Tbsp (85 g) unsalted butter, softened
     3/4 cup brown sugar

Add and beat until well combined:

     1 large egg
     1/4 cup dark molasses (or black treacle)
     1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Stir in the flour mixture until blended.  Form the dough into 3/4 inch balls and roll in a bowl of cinnamon sugar (this part can be tricky as the dough is quite sticky (no rhyme intended) – chilling the dough helps, but I also won't judge you if you just slap the dough onto the sheets with 2 spoons and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top).  

Arrange the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on the sheets.  Bake, 1 sheet at a time, about 12 minutes.  The cookies will flatten and develop a crinkled surface as they bake.  Let stand briefly, then remove to a rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love the name of this cookie. And they look sooo scrumptious. I just pulled some chocolate chip cookies out of the oven but I think I may go ahead and make a batch of these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Russell! I think they're pretty tasty (I'd better think so, since I've eaten basically all of them).
    ~A

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!