Thursday 26 May 2011

Stodgy Summer in a Bowl

Pin It

The New York Times is a great recipe resource.  I forget that sometimes, and then one day, in my 'Recommended For You' sidebar, up will pop a link to a recipe, and I'll just happen to have the ingredients on hand, and I'll be struck with a desire to try that recipe then and there.

And boy, am I glad I decided to try this leek and lemon chicken soup.  It's so good, and so...unexpected.  Fresh and bright, creamy but without any cream, and super healthy to boot!  It was delicious.  I was seriously really proud of myself.


And best of all, it's super easy!  I threw this together after I got home from an evening class, in distracted throes of panic over my phoneless bf not being home more than three hours after his usual arrival time, and it still came out right.  Or, at least, it came out tasty, and really that's all that matters to me.  (Oh, and the bf walked through the door five minutes before it was ready – he wasn't lying in a ditch, unable to contact me.  So that was good too.) 


Chicken Soup with Leeks and Lemon
     from NYTimes Recipes for Health

Combine and bring to a boil:
     2 quarts chicken or turkey stock, preferably homemade

     1 pound leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced thin 

Once the boil has started, turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, then add:
     2/3 cup rice 

Simmer until the rice is cooked, 15-30 minutes.  Taste, adding salt if needed.

In a medium bowl, beat until frothy:
      4 large eggs, at room temperature

      Fresh juice of 2 lemons

When you're ready to serve, make sure the broth isn't boiling, then gradually add 2 cups of the hot liquid to the egg mixture, whisking quickly to prevent the eggs from curdling.  Pour the mix back into the pot with the rest of the broth (the heat should be off now) and stir well.  

Serve with a bit of freshly ground pepper and chopped parsley, and a big hunk of bread if you want more carbs to dip in your rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!