Friday 13 May 2011

Falling Into Spring: Pumpkin Spice Bread

Pin It

It's definitely Spring here in London.  The trees are blooming, the sun is shining more often than not, and the birds on the canal are having adorable, fluffy babies:


And how am I celebrating this glorious breaking of Winter?  Well, I'm sneezing a lot... and numbing myself with bucketsful of Benadryl... and baking pumpkin bread.


I know, pumpkin is a Fall thing.  Well, be that as it may, we had a can of pumpkin in the cupboard (and not much else) when we got back from the States, and I wanted to bake.  Better yet, I wanted something not-too-sweet and borderline healthy, and pumpkin is great for that as it adds tons of flavor and moisture all on its own, without needing butter or a lot of sugar to help it along.


This loaf was just what I wanted: spiced, flavorful, and satisfying without feeling heavy and sticky in my still-recovering-from-Easter-candy belly.  Also, did I mention it was super easy to throw together?  Yup, awesomely easy, and another one-bowl-wonder.  So Spring or Fall, Winter or Summer, this is one for the recipe box, for sho.


Pumpkin Spice Bread:
     Liberally adapted from Allrecipes

Preheat oven to 325F/160C and grease an 11x5 loaf pan or 2 9x5 pans (the loaf may be kind of shallow in 2).

In a large bowl, mix until smooth:
     3/4 c sugar
     1/2 c brown sugar
     1/2 c oil
     2 eggs
     1 can pumpkin puree

In a separate bowl, whisk:
     1 3/4 c flour
     1 tsp baking soda
     1/4 tsp baking powder
     3/4 tsp salt
     1.5 tsp ground ginger
     1/2 tsp ground allspice
     1 tsp cinnamon

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and blend (careful not to overmix).  Add a liberal glug of brandy for extra flavor if you like (I always like).  

Pour into pan and bake 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Didn't I tell you it was easy?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!