Saturday 26 March 2011

Homemade beats the can, hands down

Pin It
 
In the continued interest of posting delicious things I've made at night and taken bad pics of, this weekend I'm going to tell you something every Jewish mother already knows: homemade chicken soup is the bomb.com!  Now, I'm not saying I've abandoned good ole Progresso (oh, Progresso, how I miss your soups!), but I am saying if you have the time, go the extra mile.  Because it's easier than you think (especially if you buy quality chicken stock instead of making your own). And because nom.


Also, I know it's officially Spring, and soups are quickly falling out of favor, but there's still a bite in the air here in London, and based on my friends' facebook statuses I'd guess it's pretty nippy in the States as well!  So make this soup.  I promise it'll make you feel warm, cozy, and comforted.


Homemade chicken soup:
     from Allrecipes

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 1 teaspoon butter and saute until tender:
     1/2 cup diced carrot
     1/4 cup diced celery
     1/4 cup chopped onion

Add:
     6 cups chicken broth
     1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
     1 teaspoon salt
     1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (I subbed oregano)
     1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
     1/8 teaspoon pepper

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add:
     1 1/4 cups uncooked medium egg noodles

Cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add some chopped parsley and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - any tips on where to buy really good chicken stock in London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,

    I'd say your best bet would be a farmer's market, like the one in Borough on Saturdays, but Waitrose carries some pretty good options in the refrigerated section too.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!