Monday 23 August 2010

On cravings.

Pin It

Every now and again, I do in fact feel like baking something savory.  Now, usually this craving comes in the form of buttery, flaky, biscuity goodness, but it's also been known to rear its head in a sharp, tangy, cheddary way.  As it did last week.

Now, as someone who never visited restaurant chains as a child (my parents are food snobs, much to my childhood chagrin– not that I mind these days!), I can't testify as to the oft-cited deliciousness of the Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits.  I can, however, say that the many bloggers and food message-board commenters who describe them gave me a major jones for cheesy, chivey, garlicky goodness.  So off I went to hunt for a recipe that would be easy to throw together with stuff I already had in my pantry.  And boy did this one fit the bill! 



These biscuits are fluffy, cheesy, salty, and basically just all kinds of spot-hitting.  Plus, they required little more than a bowl, a spoon, and a baking sheet.  That's my kind of recipe, fo sho.  So what are you waiting for?  Doesn't salty, fluffy, crispy, golden, cheddary biscuitness sound good right now?!


Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Adapted from Allrecipes
Preheat oven to 375F/190C. 

In a measuring cup, mix:
     1 1/2 tsp baking powder
     1/2 tsp salt (or garlic salt, if, like me, you can never get enough of the stuff)

Fill to the one-cup line with flour, then place in a large bowl and add:
     1/2 cup cheddar cheese
     1 bunch chives, chopped.

Stir in:
     1/2 cup milk
     2 tbsp mayo (I only had greek yogurt but it worked perfectly and was moderately more healthy!)
     1 tsp butter, melted.

Drop onto ungreased nonstick cookie sheet or bake in muffin cups (2/3 full) 15-20 minutes, until just golden.

5 comments:

  1. YUM. i can't recall tasting a red lobster biscuit, but i definitely empathize with jonesing for some cheesy, buttery, tangy goodness. must go to kitchen. must bake biscuits... now! thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious and simple - which is always a thumbs up in my book. I'll have to make this soon, since I have a surplus of chives and NO idea what to do with them (until now, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to have inspired you guys! I hope your biscuits turn out as deliciously salty and craving-quenching as mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to see this on photograzing, the mayo is the secret ingredient. I love these and make them all the time! wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pegasus,
    Yeah, I may have to try them again with mayo, so I can compare with the greek yogurt!
    ~A

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!