Saturday 5 November 2011

Delayed Gratification: Blueberry Boy Bait

Pin It

When I first saw this recipe forever ago on Smitten Kitchen, I immediately bookmarked it.  I mean, cake batter, fresh blueberries, cinnamon topping, and a cute name?  Sold, sold, and sold again.


But then it got lost in the flood of recipes I was bookmarking every day, and I forgot about it.  Until my friend Aine asked me on facebook if I'd ever heard of it, and the desire came rushing back.  Oh, Boy Bait, I lamented, how could I ever have forgotten you?


Okay, so it wasn't that dramatic.  And okay, I still didn't make it right away (have I mentioned that I'm terribly indecisive and procrastinatey?).  But when I did make it, a few weeks later, I was not disappointed.  This cake is fluffy and light, studded with juicy berries and crusted with a cinnamony topping – what more could a girl, or the boy she's trying to bait, want?

Oh, and as for the baiting abilities of this particular item?  Let's just say, the bf ate at least half the pan.


Blueberry Boy Bait:
      barely adapted from SK

Heat oven to 350F/175C. Grease and flour a 13"x9" baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk and set aside:
      2 c flour
      1 Tbsp baking powder
      1 tsp salt
 
In an electric mixer on high speed, cream until fluffy:     
      16 Tbsp unsalted butter (225g), softened
      3/4 c packed lt. brown sugar
      1/2 c granulated sugar

One at a time, add:
     3 eggs

On medium speed, alternating with the flour mixture (start with the dry):
      1 c low-fat or whole milk

In a small bowl, toss together:
      1/2 c blueberries (if you use frozen, don't defrost them)
      1 Tbsp flour
Fold berries into batter and spread into prepared pan.  

Scatter over the top: 
     1/2 c blueberries
     1/4 c sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon

Bake 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.  Cool 20 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a pretty plate to serve (I served right from the pan and it was delish).


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing this back, I'd forgotten how much I love this cake. And I still have several pounds of blueberries from this summer in the freezer... Now I just need the boy to come home and be baited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paige,

    Several pounds of fresh-frozen blueberries in your freezer?? How I envy you – the most common item in our freezer is fish cakes and individual chicken breasts. Not the most inspiring...

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy this cake, and I'm sure the boy will be duly baited!

    ~A

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!